Monday, September 7, 2009

Madrid...First few days

Well not much has happened since the last time I wrote. I am going to try to keep this short, we'll see if that happens. I arrived in Madrid and spent the first couple of nights in a Youth Hostel right downtown. On Friday the 4th, I had orientation for school. It was not that eventful...we were greeted by the president of the university (about 400 of us exchange students), and we were given some presentations by people in the international offices, and the international student network. After that, we split into about 5 groups and went on a campus tour. After the campus tours we all met up at the cafeteria for Tapas, beer, wine, and soft drinks...this sure wouldn't happen at a campus in the states! I met a lot of German exchange students, everyone was very friendly.

I ended up staying one more night at the Hostel, and then went to Julien's brother, Olivier's, house. It was extremely nice of him to welcome me in with such open arms. The folks that he live with are also very nice. I have been going out looking at apartments everyday now, and have yet to find one that I am fond of...they are always either extremely old and ratty, or strange folks, or tiny little places. THE SEARCH GOES ON! I decided that I will just sleep on park benches until I find a place that I am satisfied with, adventurous right!

The other night, Olivier had a little get together at his house because he is moving back to Paris on Friday of this week. I already inquired and his room has already been rented. Total bummer because it is an awesome third floor flat that overlooks a beautiful Plaza, Plaza Olavide. It was very nice to get to know some of his friends, they were all very nice, and wished me luck on finding a flat. After the get together a few of us went out for a beer or two at the local bar. The schedule here is ridiculous...we didn't end up getting home till like 4:45 or 5:00 a.m.

Well today I came to the university even though classes don't start till next week. I need to go talk with the international student services people to get some help building my schedule for the year.

Well it is getting to be that time, the office is only open from 12:00 - 2:00 and 4:30 - 6:30, sign me up for that work schedule please!

Until next time.

Philip
011-34-676-209-533 (Thanks mom for the correction!)

4 comments:

  1. sleeping on park benches???? Ha!Ha!! Do I need to give you a talk about this???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Philip: I just found out about your blog--thanks for the nice card. It sounds like you're having a fantastic time. I loved Spain--icluding the shifted clock--dinner at 9:00 etc. Park benches--Uh oh, wrong thing to tell mom. :-) I think school must be starting tomorrow, so good luck. I hope you find a rental soon! Love, Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phily! Got your card and immediately went to the computer. So great to read your blog! I find it very interesting! Maybe you could turn it into a book someday. That's how interesting it is! Portugal sounds like a big step back in time. How great to experience what so many of us just read about.
    What an awesome co-wink-e-dink that Julien's brother was living in Madrid. It really is a smalll world! Till your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olá Philip

    Grandes aventuras!
    Vou continuar a ler.
    Um beijo
    Tia Luisa

    ReplyDelete